Friday, April 22, 2011

Change of Mind, Heart, and Gears.

When I moved to State College, I told myself that I was going to use my bike more than ever. I originally planned this when I thought I'd be living closer to downtown. I live about 4 miles north, which isn't too far away, but far enough that I have to go up and down a couple hills to get where ever I'm going. Hills are the enemy. I don't think I've mentioned how incredibly out of shape I am, and couldn't really tell you when I was last "in shape."

I did have some pretty sick abs when I was 9.

You could say that fitness was an objective - shape up, be healthy, feel better about myself. I also considered that biking would save me some money. I wouldn't use my car as much and I would spend less on gas and maintenance. I'm also a tree hugger so somewhere in there I'd be helping the environment. I think just about every person that starts to ride a bicycle has these same goals in mind.


Another goal, as previously mentioned, was to get closer to Tom, and make new friends. I still saw the bike community as an intimidating group though. Especially because the people we tend to hang out with aren't just bike riders for enjoyment, they also build, repair, race and design. They know what they're doing. I get lost listening to them converse. I won't even try to keep up with that. I knew there must be other people out there that were riding just to have some fun(not that the above group wasn't, just that they came off as a little too intense) but I wasn't quite sure how I'd meet them.

I'm not the greatest at making new friends.

 Last week I came across a listing on Craigslist looking for women who would be paid to be on a street team for a bicycle club for Blue White Weekend. We were to pair up with a buddy and meet for information that Thursday at Panera if interested. I checked out their website and they seemed pretty cool. Just a nice little group looking to get out and bike, get in shape, eat healthy and be healthy, and have some fun along the way. I am also desperate for money since leaving my last job, so I thought that this could be good. I sent Rachael the link and pretty much forgot about it, after realizing my other job interfered with the time that they would need me. Thursday rolled around, and Rachael texted me asking if I would be going to the meeting that night. I thought what the hell, it had been a while since I had a Panera tuna salad sandwich. I also thought it would be a good idea to see what this group was all about.

I got home from work about 5:30 and the meeting was at 7. I told Rachael that I would ride my bike to her house and we would ride up together. I know this town by car, for sure, bike is a different story though. There are many bike paths that I'm not quite sure where they lead, so I had a pretty roundabout way that I had planned to get downtown. Not even a mile from my house I noticed that my tires were low on air. I started to question whether I should continue, whether I would make it on time, and how easy it would be to just drive my car downtown.

I forced myself to continue, thinking that even if I missed the meeting I would still be able to say I biked a bit and got to know the area a little better. I made it with 15 minutes to spare and I felt really really good. The meeting went well, and I got to know about See Jane Ride. The more that I learned the more I simply thought that joining this group was a no-brainer. I would be able to ride more, see more things, and MAKE FRIENDS! The woman who led the meeting, Dana, explained that the group is for woman of all skill levels, no pressure atmosphere and go at your own pace. This was so appealing to me, especially because it was opposite of my previous feelings of the skilled bikies I hang around with.

You mean I don't have to feel like I'm anchoring everyone?

After the meeting we rode back to Rachael's and I let my adrenaline high take control of my thoughts.

YES I WILL JOIN THIS BIKE CLUB!
SEE JANE RIDE IS AWESOME!
I WILL BE AMAZING!
I WILL MAKE FRIENDS!
I WILL GET IN SHAPE!
I WILL LOVE MY LIFE!

and somewhere in there I thought, if I really am this serious about it, and I stick with it, maybe I should have a landmark goal in mind so that when I reach it I will feel as though I've really succeeded. That thought was followed by;

I WILL COMPETE IN THE COAL CRACKER CLASSIC IN SEPTEMBER!
and I'LL START A BLOG TO DOCUMENT MY PROGRESS!
to the point where I jokingly said to my boyfriend, I'M GOING TO BE INTERNET FAMOUS!

uuuuhhh yeah.

The culmination of it all. The conception and birth of this idea, this blog. And believe me, I'm very very excited. Now all I have to do is wait for amiable weather conditions and we'll get down to business.



SERIOUS business.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there do you ever do features? We have a Team -- Check us out www.TeamTKDTexas.com we would love to have you do a feature about us on your blog. Let me know Thanks Traci spurtlvs@cbnn.net

    ReplyDelete