Friday, May 20, 2011

Partly Cloudy

Since moving to State College I haven't had much luck in the employment category. I have my mascot job, which averages to 4 gigs a month and my BBW job, where they never put me on the schedule. I was working at a clothing store for some time, but the owner/manager was a monster and I didn't want to be around all the negativity.

I can relate.

I figured it'd be easy to get a better job here. All the students leaving at the end of April should make more positions available. I've spent the last 3+ weeks filling out applications and taking online virtual job assessments like a crazy person. I have retail and management experience(a lot of it) and figured I could settle down in just about any retail position.

So with being almost unemployed and having lots and lots of free time, I was biking a lot. I decided, because I wanted to get a new bike, that it was probably time to sell my old bike before I wear it out too much. I put it on Craigslist for $300 and sold it for $280 within the week.

This was how I felt when they took my bike away.

Now dearest reader, you might think, "but Megan, now you can buy your brand new bike!" Well, with all the debt I was slowly sinking into from seeing little to no shifts at work, I realized that my bike money would have to go towards life expenses first before I get a new bike. I just got slammed with an $800 car bill (new tires, inspection, and a new motor mount, if you must know). I felt so utterly upset.

If you're a believer in that phrase about closing a door but opening a window, the next day my friend Jess was moving out of State College. She asked me if I wanted her sweet huffy. Now, while it isn't a Trek Skye S, I figured it'd be better to have A bike than NO bike.

Rusted Everything?? I'll take it!

Not considering the huffy, I am currently without a bike. This is depressing especially with the weather starting to get warmer, Janes starting to go on rides, and less than 113 days away from the Coal Cracker Classic. On top of that the boy and I are having some issues, ones I don't wish to tell the internet. I almost considered moving back to Allentown. With all of this crap that is getting in the way, I still would try to compete in the CCC. SO without training as much as I'd like to be, I will still compete to prove it to myself. I have to.

 You will be mine!

On the upside, today I was called to schedule an interview with a lovely new interior design shop downtown =). Also, tomorrow the Janes are going on a ride, and while it semi-conflicts with my work schedule, I must attend! I was also given a free trial membership which is great! Even though I don't have a bike they can loan one to me for rides and I'm happy with that. I do believe that things will turn around.  I do believe that I can climb out of this debt hole once I get a nice job. I also believe that I will be on a bike again in no time, and you will see me this September at Bungalow Park at that starting line for the Coal Cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment